Can retired senior citizens who reside overseas still receive their pension?

Question: My whole family wants to immigrate overseas. If the two retired senior citizens in the family move abroad with us, can they continue to receive their pension? What procedures are needed?

Answer: Senior citizens who receive their pension each month can still receive their monthly pension from the social insurance center, even if they move abroad. If they leave China for over one year, then starting from the thirteenth month, the senior citizen shall submit the Subsistence Certificate, issued by Chinese embassies and consulates or local notarization agencies, to the social insurance center that pays the pension. If the senior citizen dies in a foreign country, then his/her relative shall inform the senior citizen’s former employer or the social insurance center of the death immediately. The employer shall be responsible for the funeral fees and the pension will be stopped starting from the next month.