What are the requirements for setting up a restaurant?

Question: I want to open an 80 square meter restaurant in Shanghai. What are the requirements? My residence registration (Hukou) is not in Shanghai. How do I apply for the business license, food safety license and environment protection license? What shall I pay attention to regarding the restaurant’s decoration?

Answer: To open a restaurant, you have to sign a lease agreement with the owner of the restaurant premises. Then, with the lease agreement, you may apply for the Business License at the local Industrial and Commercial Administration. Before applying for the Business License, you must get the Food Safety License (which indicates the hygienic situation in the kitchen and the washing of dishes, including cleaning and sanitation, fireproofing and environmental protection facilities). The decoration of a restaurant depends upon one’s individual requirements.