Q: My spouse is permitted to work in Shanghai, and I also live in Shanghai with a residence permit for dependents. Being a holder of valid residence permit, can I work for a company if it intends to employ me?


    A: No, you cannot work for any employer as long as you reside in China as a dependent. The state of being employed is not legitimate until employer obtains your Employment License and Employment Permit at relevant authorities, and changes your purpose of residence from dependents to employment.