Q: I am going to be assigned by overseas headquarter to work for a foreign invested enterprise in Shanghai, and I sign my contract with the overseas headquarter that pays me salary. In this situation, is it necessary for me to go through formalities for employment certificates?

    A: If the remuneration of assigned foreigner is paid abroad, he or she may be exempted from the Employment License and Employment Permit??provided he or she has worked less than 3 months in Chinese territory. However, if he or she has worked in Chinese territory for more than 3 months in a year, application for Employment License and Employment Permit has to be made.