Counselors’ Office of the Shanghai Municipal People’s Government is established as an administrative institution under the management of the General Office of the Shanghai Municipal People’s Government, with its main functions, internal structure and personnel management in accordance with the “Notice of the General Office of the CPC Central Committee and the General Office of the State Council on Printing and Distributing ‘Plan on Reform of Organs of Shanghai Municipal People’s Government’” (Ting Zi  No. 17).
1. to organize the counselors of the municipal government to carry out survey and research on the implementation of the relevant guidelines and policies related to the government work, reflect the true situation, participate in the administration and discussion of state affairs, offer advice and suggestions, consult the state affairs, unit fronts and organize companionship;
2. to organize the counselors of the municipal government according to the requirements to carry out study, put forward opinions and suggestions for the relevant drafted laws and regulations and relevant drafted municipal regulations and rules;
3. to implement the united front policy of the CPC, support and organize the counselors of the municipal government to participate in the work of patriotic united front;
4. to organize the counselors of the municipal government to carry out research and discussion, exchange experience and put forward settlement opinions for the common issues during their participation and consultation of the government affairs;
5. to organize the counselors of the municipal government to study the guidelines and policies formulated by the Central Committee of the CPC, the State Council, the municipal Party committee and the municipal government and implement these guidelines and policies in the daily work, and enhance the counselors’ level of policy and theory;
6. to organize the counselors of the municipal government to participate in the exchange and cooperation with foreign governmental consultation institutions;
7. to undertake the relevant work of survey and research in Shanghai by the counselors from the State Council and those of the governments of other provinces (cities);
8. to undertake the relevant work of selection of counselors of the municipal government;
9. to provide service to the counselors of the municipal government for the performance of their duties;
10. to undertake other tasks assigned by the municipal government.