Shanghai Municipal Population and Family Planning Commission is established as one of the departments of the municipal government, with its main functions, internal structure and personnel management in accordance with the “Notice of the General Office of the CPC Central Committee and the General Office of the State Council on Printing and Distributing ‘Plan on Reform of Organs of Shanghai Municipal People’s Government’” (Ting Zi  No. 17).
1. to implement laws, rules, regulations, guidelines and policies related to population and family planning; to study and draw up the drafts of and policies on local rules and regulations on population and family planning, and organize to implement relevant rules, regulations and policies;
2. to draw up drafts of the Population Development Plan of Shanghai, study the population development strategy of Shanghai and participate in putting forward targets and suggestions on solving the population problem; to cooperate with relevant departments in monitoring the trend of overseas permanent population in Shanghai; to cooperate with relevant departments in formulating relevant social and economic policies concerning the work of population and family planning, and promote the coordinated and sustainable development of population, economy, society, resources and environment;
3. to study, put forward and organize to implement the mid-term plan, long-term plan, annual plans, and development plan for the municipality’s population and family planning development; to supervise and appraise the implementation of the municipality’s population and family planning to keep the low birth rate;
4. to take charge of promoting and coordinating with relevant departments and mass organizations to perform their responsibilities of population and family planning, promote the coordination and integration of the guidelines and policies concerning population and family planning with the work of education, health, culture, employment and social security, promote the improvement of the incentive mechanism for family planning, and cooperate with relevant departments in putting forward policies and measures to enhance the gender balance;
5. to participate in studying and putting forward policies and suggestions on orderly mobility and reasonable distribution of the population; to formulate and organize to implement the municipality’s management planning and working system for floating population’s family planning service; to take charge of coordinating to establish a working mechanism for information sharing and public services concerning the floating population’s family planning within the municipality; to promote the establishment of an inter-regional cooperation mechanism for floating population’s family planning;
6. to monitor the development of the municipality’s population and family planning, take charge of the mid-term and long-term predictions for population development trend and put forward suggestions on issuing the precaution and forecasting concerning the population and family planning safety; to take charge of the municipality’s information collection and statistics of population and family planning, and publicize related statistics and analysis regularly; to take charge of establishing, supervising and managing the informatization in the municipality’s population and family planning system, and promote the comprehensive development and use of the population information resources; to participate in construction of the basic database for the real population;
7. to study, put forward and organize to implement the municipality’s overall plan for scientific research on family planning; to assume the responsibilities of comprehensively managing the family planning technical services and disclose the important information regarding the municipality’s scientific research on and technical services for family planning according to law; to study and regulate the municipality’s management system of distributing contraceptives according to law, to take charge of regulating the management over contraceptive distribution and sale within the municipality;
8. to formulate working plans for publicity and education concerning the municipality’s population and family planning, and organize to carry out the publicity and education concerning population and family planning; to organize the news release on the population and family planning; to participate in promoting nursling early education and the only-child social behavior education;
9. to coordinate to promote the implementation of reproductive health initiatives, enhance population quality and cooperate with relevant departments in decreasing birth defects; to organize to guide community family planning, improve the fertility forecasting system and guide families in reasonable child bearing; to participate in doing a good job in AIDS prevention and administration over sex product market;
10. to formulate and organize to implement training and education plans for the cadres of population and family planning system, guide the construction of a public service network system for population and family planning, and guide the work of Shanghai Family Planning Association, Shanghai Population Institute, Shanghai Population Welfare Foundation and Shanghai Contraceptives Supplies and Service Association;
11. to take charge of the municipality’s international exchange and cooperation regarding the population and family planning and the implementation of the international aid projects of population and family planning;
12. to take charge of the acceptance and hearing of relevant administrative reviews and responses to administrative proceedings;
13. to undertake other tasks assigned by the municipal government.