Your current location:Home >> City News
Cultural landmark in the southern outskirts opens
05.15.2019

    Cultural landmark in the southern outskirts opens

    The new Fengxian Museum in Nanqiao Town has been dubbed the “Shanghai Fish” due to its shape when seen from above.

    The new Fengxian Museum opens to the public tomorrow with an exhibition from the Palace Museum about Qing Dynasty Emperor Yongzheng (1678-1735).

    The museum, built by Shanghai Construction No. 7 Group Co, covers 20,000 square meters near the artificial Jinhai Lake in Nanqiao Town.

    It is expected to become a cultural landmark on Shanghai’s southern outskirts which has long lacked a major museum.

    The museum, designed by Japanese architect Sou Fujimoto, has been dubbed the “Shanghai Fish” due to its shape when viewed from above.

    The museum will feature free permanent exhibitions about the urban planning and history of Fengxian, which was named in the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 BC) when early residents helped an apprentice of Confucius.

    Another exhibition depicts the history of its seawall, a listed historical site of the city, built in 1713 under the orders of the emperor.

    The anti-flood wall has contributed much to the social and economic development of the city, and part of the stone wall is well preserved.

    Two temporary halls covering 800 and 240 square meters will hold exhibitions from both home and abroad.

    The first group of exhibitions will be about Yongzheng, China’s handicraft artworks and ancient copper mirrors.

    The opening exhibition will run through August 16 and is free.

    More than 120 precious artifacts from the Palace Museum in Beijing will be thoughtfully displayed.

    They include the porcelain, jade, painting, calligraphy, enamel and lacquer of the period, as well as supplies once used by the emperor and his numerous workers.

    Fengxian has its historical origins with Yongzheng, who ordered the setting up of Fengxian County in 1682.

    Key exhibits include a scroll portrait of the emperor which is 42.5 centimeters in length and 30.1 centimeters in width, as well as another scroll painting which depicts the grand scene of a massive royal ritual to pay tribute to the god of farms.

    Booking is required to visit the exhibition through the museum’s WeChat account (fengxian_museum) and website (www.fxbwg.cn). The exhibition is open from 9am to 4pm except Mondays. Guided tours can be booked.



    Download Full Book TOTALLY FREE